Wednesday, August 02, 2006

 

Some Recent Films

Superman Returns – I was kind of curious about this film. I never really watched the original Superman films unless you count seeing snatches of them on TV over the years. My memories of Superman come from the TV series ‘Lois and Clark: The Adventures of Superman’. I enjoyed the film although I thought that Brandon Routh looked a bit computer generated and had a freakish resemblance to the original Superman, Christopher Reeve. Also what was the deal with the single curl that fell over his forehead when he was Superman but magically disappeared when he was Clark? Every time I saw it the rhyme ‘there was a little, who had a little curl right in the middle of her forehead…’ ran through my head which was a wee bit distracting. I guess I’ll just have to blame my own demented train of thought for that, anyway if they make another Superman film (which I hope they do) then my advice would be to ditch the curl.

The Lake House – I was expecting this to be awful. It always sends a chill down my spine when they ‘reunite’ two actors in a romcom more than ten years after they have starred in a success film together. Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock starred in Speed back in 1994 and then Keanu Reeves had the good sense not to sign up to Speed 2. This film wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, although it is better if you don’t dwell on the whole time travel/time separation issue. Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock worked well together and the story was told in an appealing way plus I liked the cute dog that they shared. Keanu Reeves and a cute dog in the film what more could you ask for?

The Break Up – This film is not a typical feel good romantic comedy basically because it isn’t very romantic or funny. The story shows the break up of a couple that are living together and while there is the odd laugh it’s actually kind of sad. At times I wanted to bang their heads together and at other times I didn’t really care what happened to the main characters. If you are looking for a romantic comedy, look elsewhere.

Comments:
Stop dissing Superman's curl - it rocked!
 
Come on the curl was awful, it looked really fake like it was glued on!
 
Look, the curl is part of Superman's cunning disguise, without it everyone would cop that Clark Kent is Superman!
 
Post a Comment



Home