Tuesday, January 02, 2007

 

New Year's Resolutions

I have never really made New Year’s resolutions. Probably because I don’t believe that I will actually keep them considering that most people last less than a week with their resolutions. According to Wikipedia the tradition of New Year's Resolutions goes back to 153 BC when Janus, a mythical king of early Rome was placed at the head of the calendar. Janus had two faces and could therefore look back on past events and forward to the future. Janus became the ancient symbol for resolutions and many Romans looked for forgiveness from their enemies and also exchanged gifts before the beginning of each year.

The following are ten prevalent New Year’s resolutions (that I garnered from google) and my response to each one:

1. Spend More Time with Friends and Family – Even though I live with my sister and see my parents and friends regularly I would have no problem endorsing this resolution
2. Get Fit – I joined a gym once and it’s an experience I’m not intending to repeat!
3. Lose Weight – I don’t think that giving up my daily intake of chocolate is actually the wisest course of action especially for those that have to interact with me on a daily basis
4. Quit Smoking – thankfully I have never become addicted to cancer sticks and have only ever dabbled with the Nicotine Queen in moments of severe drunkenness
5. Enjoy Life More – I’m definitely in favour of this one
6. Quit Drinking – Living without red wine, Jameson and baileys in my coffee? Not on your life!
7. Get Out of Debt – Having taken on a mortgage in the past year I won’t actually have a chance to fulfil this resolution for oh at least another thirty years (cue me reaching for a brown paper bag to breathe into)
8. Learn Something New – this is an interesting one, if it means learning to jive then yes I’m all for it but if it means taking up golf then I’ll give it a skip
9. Help Others – I like the idea of doing small things to help people out, not just flinging coins into a collection tin
10. Get Organised – Ah the ever elusive organised life, still you know what they say…’too much organisation can kill you’ (ok so I made that up but who knows a bit of disorganisation could be good for the soul)

Comments:
Think there's some quote about a tidy room/desk etc being the sign of an unhealthy mind (may possibly have made this up but adhere to it none the less!)
 
wow. Good luck with that list. Especially the jive.
 
So of all the top 10 resolutions in the entire world, no one seems to care about falling in love... no wonder the human race is so screwed up! :-)
 
Post a Comment



Home