Thursday, April 19, 2007

 

Annoying Ads

At the moment the advertisements that I find most annoying are the radio and print ads for Irish Life with Steve Davis in them. The first time I heard the original ad I thought it was amusing enough but after that it just started to get on my nerves. Steve Davis waffles on about all the different years that he won professional snooker titles and the tagline is that ‘being predictable can be brilliant’. The advertisement is for Irish Life Consensus Fund which has given a return of over 10% a year over the past ten years. Of course this claim also comes with the following warnings – 1. ‘The value of your investment may go down as well as up’, 2. ‘This fund may be affected by changes in currency exchange rates’ and 3. ‘Past performance is not a reliable guide to future performance’. I don’t have a problem with Irish Life advertising investments that may or may not give you a good return on your money. I think it boils down to the annoying sound of Steve Davis’ monotonous voice booming across the radio waves at regular intervals. I wonder if an ad has ever been denied airplay because it was too annoying. :-)

Comments:
I actually don't mind this ad but it's an interesting topic. Why would you bother listening to the same radio station when they put on such annoying ads, particulary when each radio station doesn't differentiate from the other by much?

I emailed Newstalk to ask them to stop the annoying pizza ads, I couldn't take them anymore. And no, they were not for fine pizza establishments such as Four Star or Dominos. I haven't heard the same ads since but I know they got other omplaints about the same juvenile ads.
 
Post a Comment



Home