Monday, January 21, 2008

 

Sense and Sensibility

Andrew Davies has worked his magic again with the new adaptation of Jane Austen’s Sense and Sensibility that was shown on BBC 1 over the past few weeks. It was shown as a three part series that finished the weekend before last and it was repeated the following weekend on BBC4 and BBC1. The story is mainly about two sisters and the different ways in which they react to love. Marianne Dashwood wears her heart on her sleeve while Elinor, her older sister, is sensitive to social convention and struggles to conceal her own romantic feelings. I think the casting was very good and I enjoyed the fact that I found both Edward Ferrars (played by Dan Stevens) and Colonel Brandon (David Morrisey) more attractive than Willoughby (Dominic Coper). Andrew Davies is the same guy that produced the excellent adaptation of Pride and Prejudice containing the scene with Colin Firth emerging from the lake and bumping into Elizabeth in a sopping shirt. He even manages to work a wet shirt scene into this adaptation of Sense and Sensibility when he has Edward Ferrars chopping wood in the rain. I wonder if there is any chance that he would do an adaptation of Persuasion. My housemates have banned me from watching anymore Jane Austen inspired films/TV programmes for six months. Since Christmas I’ve seen the latest ‘Pride and Prejudice’ film starring Keira Knightley that was on RTE1 recently (which I detested when I saw it in the cinema but I liked it a bit more after seeing it a second time), the film ‘Becoming Jane’ about Jane Austen’s life and the BBC’s latest version of ‘Sense and Sensibility’. I think it’s probably time to balance that out with a steady DVD diet of Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Rocky and Rambo for the next couple of months.

Comments:
Arse, i'm gutted i missed it now
 
Never fear PJB, this series is already available online at www.bbcshop.com or at www.amazon.co.uk. Not that I have any intention of purchasing it or anything. :-)
 
Post a Comment



Home