Sunday, June 29, 2008

 

Cork Guitar Poets Mash

I went to the Spiegeltent the weekend before last and saw four singer songwriters do their thing. The first up was Cian, followed by Aaron Dillion, Ian Whitty and Ger Wolfe. Cian played a solo gig while the other acts were supported by their bands. Aaron Dillion played a good range of songs and sported a very fetching cowboy hat while on stage. Check out www.donal.ie for pictures of Aaron and Cian. Aaron didn’t play his song about everyone being confused about their sexuality but he did play his sing along economy song. He made a great comment about people buying things they didn’t need, with money they didn’t have, to impress people they didn’t like. It sort of summed up some sectors of Irish society over the last few years. I was delighted to see Ian Whitty play because I think the last time I saw him was in The Lobby. I just seemed to keep missing his gigs for the last few years. His songs have interesting and clever lyrics that catch your attention and draw you in. Ger Wolfe was the last act up and played some songs solo and some with his all female band. I was my first time seeing him play and he has the maddest Cork accent. I liked the song that he sang in Irish. Unfortunately I had to leave just before he played his last song but I did get to witness him singing ‘happy birthday’ to Cian!

Comments: Post a Comment



Home